Open Email
Client: Censored

Flight charter

Aircraft Charter, Private Jets & Freight

Scroll for case study

Overview

The name of this client will be withheld until the release of the new website. They are a global company that offers countless services, including flight charter, private jets, freight, training and consultancy. The project was to redesign two of their websites and create a brand new one. These three sites are ‘AP’ (for chartering a flight, private jet & freight), BS (for training & consulting) and finally the new site which is AP PLC (for investment). Due to the budget all these websites had to be treated as one. I worked as the lead designer on the project, working alongside two other designers. I started the project by designing the main website and created components that would work across all three sites.

  • My role:
  • UX / UI
  • Year:
  • 2019

The process

Workshop

We conducted a day long workshop session for each one of the sites. In these sessions we established the core requirements including functional spec, user flows and initial sitemap. We kicked off the session by introducing ourselves, our company and then established how we would work together. We also presented a competitor and site analysis to discover core weaknesses and strengths of each site.


Next we invited the clients to tell us about their brand and business model. It was important to have a great understanding of these two things as it would feed into the structure and layout of the site. The business models were particularly complex due to the nature and unfamiliarity of the business.

In the session we got the stakeholders to map out key user stories using specially made cards. This was important to give us an understanding of the end-users, highlight features, as well as key user flows. We followed this up by inviting the client to rank each of the user stories in order of importance from 1 to 5.


Next we split the clients into two groups and tasked each group with mapping out how they believe the site should be structured. I traveled between each group advising them and encouraging them to think from a user point of view. As the final task, I lead a priority poker session on key features on the site.


Sitemap

I started the project by creating the sitemap for the main website, while the two other designers also worked on their related sitemaps. My goal was to simplify the large website and make the information accessible. I also thought about what pages could share templates to find out how many designs were needed and hopefully prevent the site going over budget.

Wireframe

I created a component library of elements that would work across all three sites. This would just be an initial library and would evolve with the wireframes as the requirements become clearer. For my company this in an unusual step but was taken due to the low budget and range of sites we were creating.


Next I split the required templates into two stages to allow for client feedback before I proceeded too far. The first lot of wireframes were created within 2 weeks and presented back to the client. After the amends were made the second and final set was created. All the wireframes were created to reflect key findings from the discovery meeting

UI Design

I based the UI on the luxurious, slick and image heavy brand guidelines which were created by another company. Using these guidelines was a particular challenge due to the fact that it was designed without web in mind and key elements wouldn't work well responsively. The end result was something that the client was extremely happy with, and this was fed back to us on multiple occasions.